About Backup Child Care and Adult Care
Backup child care providers can assist when normal child care or school arrangements are disrupted by school closings, vacations, or provider illness, or when a child is mildly ill. Child care providers are available to come to your home, workplace, or another meeting place.
Backup adult care providers can offer companionship, meal preparation, light housekeeping, or prompts for medications. They can also provide personal care, such as assistance with bathing and dressing, and can accompany an adult to a doctor's appointment if needed. Adult care providers are available to come to your home or to the home of your family member.
MIT faculty, staff, and postdocs can request up to 15 child care and/or adult care referrals per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) without being charged registration or placement fees. Care is available any time of day or night, any day of the week, once you have registered.
How to Register for Backup Child or Adult Care
Step 1: Complete MIT’s Employee Status Verification Form, so that MIT can verify your eligibility for this service.
Step 2: Register with Care.com Backup Care. You must register with Care.com BackupCare, provided by Parents in a Pinch.
To register online:
- Visit www.care.com/backupcare.
- Click on the “companies” tab.
- Click on “New client registration.”
- Complete all pages of the New Client Registration Form.
To register by phone:
- Call Care.com at 1-855-781-1303, extension 1, to request backup care.
How to Request Backup Child or Adult Care from Care.com
Once you have completed MIT’s Employee Status Verification Form and registered with Care.com Backup Care, you can call Care.com at 1-855-781-1303, extension 1, to set up care.
For Backup Adult Care: Call 1-855-781-1303, extension 1, during regular business hours, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For Backup Child Care: Call 1-855-781-1303, extension 1, during regular business hours, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. For backup child care only: You may also arrange care during extended hours by calling 1-855-781-1303, extension 1.
Extended hours for child care callers are:
- Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Friday from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday evening from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. (for care needed the following day.)
When you call Care.com to request backup child or adult care:
- Identify yourself as an MIT employee.
- Care.com will identify a caregiver who meets your specific needs, and will call you back to inform you about your caregiver. The caregiver will also call you to confirm the details of the child care appointment.
- You are responsible for paying the hourly cost of the child and adult caregivers, which is currently $16.00 per hour in Massachusetts (with a minimum of four hours per day).
- At the end of the backup child or adult care service, you will need to sign the provided timesheet, and your credit card will be charged for your co-pay for the hours of care.
Additional information about the backup child care referral service:
- Frequently Asked Questions for Child Care (PDF coming soon)
- Screening of Childcare Providers (PDF)
- Tips for Working with a Temporary Caregiver (PDF)
Additional information about the backup adult care referral service:
Group Child Care for MIT Meetings
Group child care (PDF) can also be arranged through Parents in a Pinch for MIT meetings on campus and at Lincoln Laboratory.