About Backup Child Care
Backup child care providers can assist when normal child care or school arrangements are disrupted by school closings, vacations, or provider illness, or when a child is mildly ill. Child care providers are available to come to your home, workplace, or another meeting place.
MIT faculty, staff, and postdoctoral fellows can request up to 15 child care and/or adult care referrals per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) without being charged registration or placement fees. Care is available any time of day or night, any day of the week, once you have registered.
How to Request Backup Child Care (updated 9/8/15)
Step 1: Visit mit.care.com and complete the enrollment form.
Step 2: Request backup child care on-line or by telephone.
To request backup child care on-line: Select "Backup Child Care for Children" on the mit.care.com menu page and submit your information and request. After your request is placed, Care.com will identify a caregiver who meets your specific needs, and will call to tell you about your caregiver. The caregiver will also call you to confirm the details of the child care appointment.
To request backup child care by telephone: Call 855-781-1303, extension 2. Care.com call-in hours are:
- Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. EST
- Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. EST
- Sunday, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. EST (for care needed the following day).
If you call Care.com to request backup child care:
- Identify yourself as an MIT employee or postdoctoral fellow.
- Care.com will: identify a caregiver who meets your specific needs, call to tell you about your caregiver, and will email you the caregiver profile. The caregiver will also call you to confirm the details of the child care appointment.
- You are responsible for paying the hourly cost of the child caregiver, which is currently $16.00 per hour in Massachusetts (with a minimum of four hours per day).
- At the end of the backup child care service, you will need to sign the provided timesheet, and your credit card will be charged for the hours of care provided.
Additional information about the backup child care referral service:
- Frequently Asked Questions for Backup Child Care
- Screening of Childcare Providers (PDF)
- Tips for Working with a Temporary Caregiver (PDF)
Group Child Care for MIT Meetings
Group child care (PDF) can also be arranged through Parents in a Pinch for MIT meetings on campus and at Lincoln Laboratory.