New paid employees and student workers (including Research Assistants, Teaching Assistants and hourly paid student employees), as well as those who need reverification, must complete the I-9 forms at the Atlas Service Center.
Effective November 17, 2017, all new MIT employees, including faculty, staff and student workers, are required to be E-Verified. E-Verify is also a compliance requirement for all employees or student workers assigned to perform work on a federal contract which includes a Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) clause.
Overview of the Process
Federal law mandates that employment at MIT is dependent on providing proof of identity and authorization to work in the U.S.
On or before their first day of work, employees and student workers must complete Section 1 of the I-9 form electronically in MIT’s online system. The employee/student worker has three business days from hire date to present original supporting documentation in person to the Atlas Service Center. The I-9 Representative will login to the system, review the completed section 1 along with employee’s original supporting documents, complete section 2, certify the I-9, and submit the I-9 to E-Verify.
Please note: once employee/student worker has submitted section 1 of the online I-9 form, they will not be able to access it again. After submission, only the I-9 Representative has access to the I-9. If the submitted section 1 has errors, the I-9 Representative will notify employee/student worker with instructions on how to correct it.
1. Where to Access Section 1 of the I-9 Form
New MIT employees and student workers may complete Section 1 of the I-9 form below (requires Kerberos login).
2. Supporting Documents
For MIT to complete the I-9 form, the employee or student worker must provide the original document(s) referred to in lists A, B, and C on the Lists of Acceptable Documents. An employee or student worker may not begin work at MIT until their I-9 form has been completed.
- See Lists A, B, and C on the Lists of Acceptable Documents.
- Expired documents are not acceptable.
- Photocopies or scans of documents are not acceptable.
- Receipts for lost, stolen, or damaged documents may be acceptable and are valid for 90 days. Employees providing receipts are required to bring in the new original document by the end of the 90-day period and update their I-9.
- Employees who choose to submit a foreign passport/I-94 combination may be required to also provide a DS-2019, or an I-20 depending upon visa status.
- Employees working remotely also need to comply and should contact the Atlas Service Center as soon as possible prior to their start date to make arrangements to be verified.
3. Where to Bring the Supporting Documents
Bring the supporting documentation to the Atlas Service Center.
Current employees or student workers whose work authorizations are due to expire, and who are continuing employment, are required to reverify their I-9. To do this, they must bring the appropriate original document(s) referred to in Lists A, B, and C on the LISTS OF ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS page to the Atlas Service Center. The I-9 Central representatives will either complete Section 3 (Updating and Reverification) of the form, or work with the employee to complete a new I-9.
Effective November 17, 2017, all new paid MIT employees hired or newly required, including faculty, staff and student workers, are to be E-Verified. All existing employees or student workers assigned to perform work on a federal contract which includes a FAR clause must also be submitted to E-Verify in compliance with federal law. The E-Verify process works together with the I-9 process and the Atlas Service Center will facilitate this process.
Newly Required Employees
A newly required appointment is one that goes from unpaid to paid or from Postdoctoral Fellow to regular paid employee. Newly required employees must complete an I-9 form at the Atlas Service Center. The process must be completed within 3 days of becoming newly required.
Tips for Departments
- Departments must send new hires, student workers including Research Assistants, Teaching Assistants and hourly student employees, and existing employees who are newly required or who need re-verification to the Atlas Service Center.
- Those with unpaid appointments and Postdoctoral Fellows are not required to complete an I-9.
- Departments should submit new hire transactions as early as possible so that employee and student worker information is in the system before the employee or student arrives at the Atlas Service Center. This will help the process run smoothly for employees and student workers, and will avoid delay or interruption of employment.
For questions regarding documentation, please contact the Atlas Service Center.