- Are short-term objectives set for specific work in the employee's current position
- Relate to the department's overall goals
- Include clearly defined expectations for success
Performance goals answer the question "What is expected of the employee in his/her position?"
- Tie to anticipated needs in the employee's current position and/or
- Focus on opportunities outside the current role and/or
- Look at the organization's anticipated needs and/or
- Focus on the employee's strengths, talents, and interests separately from the current position
Development plans answer the question "In what areas and ways should the employee develop for the future?"
|BEST PRACTICES (Baseline Practices plus ...)|
Why Set Goals?
- To set specific expectations of what work should be done
- To create clear, measurable performance standards
- To make the connection between an individual employee's work and department and Institute goals