MIT Leadership Development
Conflict management teaching and training and direct conflict management services including one-on-one coaching, mediation, and facilitation that supports positive, creative, and effective personal interaction.
Free, online management and leadership courses from the world’s best universities, including MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, UT and others.
MIT Faculty resources that support academic and research engagements.
Leadership Skills for Engineering and Science Faculty
MIT Professional Education Short Program focused on human-centered strategies for leading effective teams in technical academic environments.
Leader to Leader (L2L)
A unique, award-winning leadership development program for leaders from the MIT community.
Web-based learning catalog of thousands of courses, books and videos developed by industry-leading learning experts and accessible and free through the MIT Learning Center.
Managing for Excellence
MIT management development program intended to develop experienced managers’ strengths in managing individuals and groups.
Mentoring Booklet (PDF)
Mentoring resource prepared by a group of women faculty at MIT.
MIT Professional Education
Learn from MIT Faculty in Advanced Study Program, Short Programs and Custom Programs in topics ranging from Leadership/Communication to Innovation, Data Modeling and Analysis, and Crisis Management.
MIT Leadership Center
MIT leadership resources with MIT senior leader and faculty leader perspectives, videos, interviews and research focusing on helping leaders solve the world’s most challenging problems.
MIT Learning Center
Professional development courses and online resources tailored for the MIT community, including online learning bundles for managers and leaders. Go to the Course Catalog and search by topic area:
- Coaching Using the Grow Model
- Delegating for Success
- Managing Your Time
- Making Meetings Work at MIT
- Performance and Development Review – Learning Bundles for MIT core competencies
Training opportunities and resources tailored for the MIT community and accessible for free through the MIT Learning Center.
Sloan Executive Education
Programs, workshops, and online learning designed for senior executives and taught by senior MIT Sloan faculty.
External Leadership Development
American Council on Education
Leadership programs and higher education topics.
Best practice insight and technology company that provides research, tools, and advice for business leaders across more than 50 different functional and key industry leadership roles.
Center for Creative Leadership
Leadership development organization specializing in executive education offering leadership programs, tools, assessments and research.
Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) - Academic Leadership Program
Leadership Development Programs for women faculty and administrators.
Flexible, online leadership development programs for executives with access to elite institutions, including Columbia Business School, UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, and MIT Sloan School of Management.
Higher Education Resource Services (HERS)
Leadership development programs focused on creating and sustaining a community of women leaders in higher education.
Current events in higher education.
A range of resources for managers and leaders.
Additional Reading and Resources
- Diversity Makes You Brighter, Sheen Levine and David Stark, The New York Times, 2015
- Edgar Schein on Culture, Tim Kuppler, Leadership and Change, 2015
- Good to Great, Jim Collins, FastCompany, 2001
- How the Best Leaders Build Trust, Stephen Covey, LeadershipNow, 2009
- What Makes a Great Leader, Daniel Goleman, Harvard Business Review, 2014
- Clear Leadership: Sustaining Real Collboration and Partnership at Work, Gervase Bushe, 2009
- Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help, Edgar H. Schein, 2009
- Mens et Mania: The MIT Nobody Knows, Samule Jay Keyser, 2011
- On Becoming a Leader, Warren Bennis, 1989
- X-Teams: How to Build Teams That Lead, Innovate, and Succeed, Deborah Ancona and Henrik Bresman, 2007
- Faculty Governance at MIT: Strengths and Future Challenges, Thomas Kochan, MIT Faculty Newsletter, 2011
- The Faculty Role in Building and Sustaining Community, Phillip Clay, MIT Faculty Newsletter, 2015
- They Don’t Train Us for This, Fred Schwarzbach, The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2016
- What I Learned as a Department Head, Edmund Bertschinger, MIT Faculty Newsletter, 2016
Tomorrow’s Professor Blog – Stanford University
The Tomorrows-Professor eNewsletter seeks to foster a diverse, world-wide teaching and learning ecology among its over 60,000 subscribers at over 950 institutions and organizations in over 100 countries around the world. The following articles concern the role of the faculty leader:
- Advice for Future Department Chairs
- Learning to Lead
- Lessons Learned as a Department Chair
- Managing a Career versus Managing a Program or Department
- Managing the Chair’s Paradoxical Role
- Leadership When Meeting One on One
- Everyday Leadership, Drew Dudley, TEDxToronto, 2010 (6:14)
- Forget the Pecking Order at Work, Margaret Heffernan, TEDWomen, 2015 (15:47)
- The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, Dan Pink video, 2012 (10:47)
- The Tribes We Lead, Seth Godin, TED2009 (17:29)
- What it Takes to Be a Great Leader, Roselinde Torres, TED@BCG, 2013 (9:19)