The 2016 application period has ended. Applications for the next L2L session will be accepted beginning in the summer of 2017.
As a prospective applicant, we encourage you to review this L2L website to fully understand the program. You may also want to review the tentative program overview for an idea of the program's schedule, topics, venues, and guest presenters.
The L2L program application for non-faculty includes five steps, listed below. An application is not considered ready for submission until all of the following are completed:
- Talk with an Alumnus
- Discuss Goals & Time Investment with Manager
- Submit Applicant Form & Essay
- Submit Letter of Reference
- Submit Manager's Support Form
At any point in the application process, you can check the status of your application.
If you have any technical difficulties, contact L2Lfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps in the Application Process
1. Talk with an Alumnus
Before you do anything, have a conversation with at least one L2L alumnus from a recent class. The sole purpose of this conversation is to help you understand what the program is like and what will be required of you, including the time commitment and the project work. Use the L2L Alumni pages to identify a Fellow with whom you might like to speak and contact him/her.
2. Discuss your Goals and Time Investment with your Manager
Have a conversation with your manager about your leadership development goals and how you and s/he can communicate throughout the program to maximize your leadership development.
At first, many L2L Fellows are concerned about fulfilling the time commitment. However, they discover that their participation in all aspects of L2L is an excellent investment of their time. The time commitment for the L2L Fellows is as follows:
- Sixteen to eighteen full-day sessions spaced throughout the 13 month L2L year
- Time to work with four to six other L2L Fellows on an MIT project outside the Fellows' own area of expertise
- Approximately one hour per month with his/her executive coach to help the Fellow implement what he/she is learning
You should also discuss with your manager how she/he can help you get the most from L2L. Fellows are most successful at applying what they learn in L2L to their work when their managers are actively engaged in their leadership development. To this end, managers of L2L Fellows are expected to:
- Give input in their Fellow's 360 assessment
- Participate in a lunchtime Manager's Orientation
- Meet with their Fellow and his/her executive coach at least once during L2L
- Optional follow up action items for managers and fellows sent via email after workshops
If a Fellow's manager is unable to fulfill these expectations, the Fellow can choose a designate in the manager's place. If an applicant and his/her manager prefer to choose a designate, the applicant should contact Margaret Ann Gray at email@example.com for guidance in identifying someone who can successfully play this role.
3. Applicant Form and Essay
The Applicant Form can be filled out as soon as you are ready. You, your manager, and the MIT colleague submitting your letter of reference will each need a current MIT certificate or Kerberos username/password to access the system.
On your Applicant Form, enter the names of the people who will complete your Letter of Reference and Manager's Support Form. L2L will send emails to these individuals that include a link to their forms. Because they cannot submit their forms until you have indicated them on your Applicant Form, we encourage you to start your Applicant Form as early as possible.
You can submit your essay at a later date, but it too must be submitted no later than the application deadline for you to be considered for selection.
The applicant form includes a short essay (300-500 words total). In your essay, please describe:
- the qualities, skills and experiences you would bring to Leader to Leader
- opportunities for leading change that you anticipate facing in your role or organization
- the new skills and competencies you hope to gain from the program to help you mitigate and/or leverage challenges related to your role
Notes for preparing your essay:
- We recommend that you prepare your essay in another program and then copy and paste it into the application.
- You do have the ability to save your work and return to it at a later time to complete and submit your essay.
- Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your essay.
Ready to Apply?
The next application period will open in the summer of 2017.
4. Letter of Reference
Please ask an MIT colleague (who is not your manager) to write a letter that describes your demonstrated leadership abilities, skills, and competencies. As you start your application, you will be asked to name this supporter, and that person will receive an e-mail from L2L with a link to the Letter of Reference. (Your supporter will not be able to complete this form until you have named this person in the application.) Please ask your supporter to complete the form no later than the application deadline.
Please note: We accept only one Letter of Reference for each applicant. Your supporter will need a current MIT certificate or Kerberos username/password in order to access the form. If you have trouble identifying your supporter to the system, or your supporter has trouble accessing the form, please contact us at L2Lfirstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Manager's Support Form
Once you create your application and select your manager, they will receive an e-mail from L2L with a link to the Manager's Support Form. (Your manager will not be able to complete this form until you have named this person in the application.) Please ask your manager to complete the form no later than the application deadline.
Please note: We accept only one Manager's Support Form for each applicant. Your manager will need a current MIT certificate or Kerberos username/password in order to access the form. If you have trouble identifying your manager to the system, or your manager has trouble accessing the form, please contact us at L2Lemail@example.com.
The deadline for completed applications, including the Manager's Support form and Letter of Reference will be announced when the next L2L application period opens. Applicants will be notified about whether they have been selected for L2L in the late fall of that year.
Thank you for your interest in Leader to Leader.