What Is It?
A generic job description is a high-level description of general duties and responsibilities associated with a broad, generic job. It also includes the general requirements necessary to perform the duties and responsibilities outlined in the job description.
A generic job description can be helpful to departmental managers and/or employees when creating a new job description. These descriptions can be modified to reflect more specific duties and responsibilities for a particular position in a DLC and should then be incorporated into the Job Description Template and kept on file and/or sent to the Compensation Office for evaluation.
Job Level Guides
- Administrative Assistant Job Level Guide (Microsoft Word document)
- Financial -- (Sponsored) Job Level Guide (Microsoft Word document)
- Financial -- (Non-Sponsored) Job Level Guide (Microsoft Word document)
- Research Support Associate -- Technical Assoc (Wet Lab) (Microsoft Word document)
- Research Support Associate -- Technical Assoc (Dry Lab) (Microsoft Word document)
In addition, IS&T has created numerous job level guides which can be helpful when writing or revising IT descriptions. Please see IS&T Roles for more information.