The submission and processing of merit increases are done in SAPgui. Quick Cards are provided to guide Approvers and Administrators through the SAP-ASR module.
Guidelines for Merit Increases and Performance Reviews
- Given the limited merit pool amount, distribution should be done in a thoughtful way to ensure your top performers receive the maximum amount possible.
- If an employee will not be receiving a salary increase due to marginal and unsatisfactory performance, a memo justifying the nature of the performance deficiencies must be submitted to the Assistant Dean's/VP-designee's office and maintained in the employee's file.
- Should an employee's performance warrant it, department heads and administrative officers have the option of deferring the merit increase.
- Managers/administrative officers also have the option of giving an employee a one-time lump sum in addition to or in lieu of adding the merit to the employee's base salary.
- Managers/administrative officers should have already scheduled time to provide their staff with performance feedback as well as a written performance review which includes performance goals and a career development plan.
- Human Resources has a website to assist in the Performance Development process, which includes a number of useful tools and resources.
Massachusetts law requires that all employee records be retained for three years after the employee leaves the employer. However, it is MIT practice to retain records – including performance review documents – for four years after the employee leaves MIT. The law considers MIT, not any particular department, to be the employer. Therefore, departments should continue to retain the personnel records for employees who have transferred to a different department within MIT. Records for employees who have left MIT may be destroyed after four years.
If a department is using its own performance review form, please note that MIT must inform an employee of anything negative in a performance review. HR strongly recommends that the performance review form include the following statement:
This annual performance review will become part of your personnel file. Please sign below to acknowledge you have received this document.