You are eligible for vision plan coverage if you are paid by MIT (unless Postdoctoral Fellow), are appointed to work at MIT for at least three months (a postdoctoral fellow must have a fellowship appointment of at least nine months), and work at least 50% of the normal full-time work schedule. Learn more about eligibility.
- Confirm your eligibility.
- Review vision plan details below.
- Enroll in the plan.
- Locate an EyeMed provider.
Your Vision Plan Option
The optional MIT Vision Plan covers the cost of vision care hardware—eyeglasses or contact lenses—through EyeMed Vision Care. The plan is intended to supplement the eye health care (such as checkups and doctors' visits) provided by MIT health plans.
When you enroll in the plan, you can obtain services either through EyeMed's network of providers (MIT is part of the "Select" network) or through an independent service provider. You generally will receive a higher level of reimbursement if you obtain services within the EyeMed network. Compare in-network and out-of-network reimbursement levels with the Vision Plan Comparison Chart and Vision Plan Rate Chart to decide if the plan makes sense for you.
Tiers of Coverage
When you enroll in the MIT Vision Plan, you also choose who will be covered by your plan.
- Choose Individual if you only need to cover yourself.
- Choose Employee + Spouse to cover yourself and your spouse or domestic partner.
- Choose Employee + Children to cover yourself and your children (if you are a single parent or your spouse/domestic partner is covered under another plan).
- Choose Family to cover yourself, your spouse/domestic partner, and your children.
- Dependent children may be covered through the end of the month that they turn age 26, if they are not eligible for another employer-sponsored vision plan.
- If you have a dependent who is disabled, that dependent will be eligible for coverage.
More on Eligibility
Who is eligible
- you have been appointed—and are currently employed—to work at MIT for at least three months
- you work at least 50% of the normal full-time work schedule
- you are paid by MIT
- you meet the criteria above and have a visiting appointment at MIT of at least three months
- you have a postdoctoral fellowship appointment of at least nine months
Who is NOT eligible
- teaching or research assistant
- honorary lecturer
- summer appointment
- international visiting student
- member of the armed services assigned to MIT
- family member who is not employed by MIT
- work-study student
- paid by MITemps
MIT's policy is the same for domestic partners as it is for married spouses and their eligible dependent children. You and MIT share the cost of coverage for your spouse/domestic partner and/or any eligible dependent children. You should be aware, however, that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) imposes certain financial and tax regulations on health insurance costs in domestic partnerships. Learn more below.
Members of collective bargaining units
All the plan provisions are subject to the terms of your collective bargaining agreement.
Sign up when you begin work at MIT. Visit Atlas to enroll in the vision plan coverage within 31 days of your date of hire or appointment—or within 31 days of the date you receive your official Welcome Letter, whichever is later.
Sign up during Open Enrollment. If you do not return enroll within this 31-day period, you must wait until the next annual Open Enrollment period, which takes place in the fall.
Enroll as a result of a life event. If you experience a change in your life that has an impact on your benefits, you can enroll outside the Open Enrollment period. Learn more.
How to Change Your Vision Plan Coverage
To cancel or make a change to your MIT Vision Plan coverage, use Atlas during the annual Open Enrollment period.
If you experience a change in your life — marriage, partner's job loss, disability, new baby, change in Medicaid status or insurance coverage—you can make changes to your vision care benefits outside the Open Enrollment period.
When you make a change because of a qualifying life event
- your change must be consistent with your life event (such as adding coverage for a new spouse/domestic partner)
- you must return the Health/Dental/Vision Plan Change Form (below) to the MIT Benefits Office within the specified period
- your change will be effective on the date of the qualifying event
- you must provide appropriate documentation (e.g., a marriage license or birth certificate)
Find out which life events qualify you to make changes to your benefits—and the time frame for making those changes.
Why the period for making changes is limited
Most of the benefits plans offered through MIT are paid with pre-tax dollars. In exchange for this tax advantage, you are prohibited from enrolling in, canceling, or making changes to those plans outside the annual Open Enrollment period, unless you experience a qualifying change in your work or family life.
Vision Plan Member Benefits
This plan is Group Number 9826959 - part of the "Select"network
|In Network Member Costs||Out-of-Network Reimbursement|
|$0 co-pay; $150 allowance plus 20% discount on balance over $150||Up to $150|
|Standard Plastic Lenses|
|Single Vision||$10 co-pay||Up to $70|
|Bifocal||$10 co-pay||Up to $100|
|Trifocal||$10 co-pay||Up to $130|
(Add-on to Bifocal)
|$75||Up to $140|
|Premium Progressive||$75, 80% of charge less $120 Allowance||Up to $196|
|UV Treatment||$15 co-pay||N/A|
|Tint (Solid and Gradient)||$15 co-pay||N/A|
|Standard Plastic Scratch Coating||$15 co-pay||N/A|
|Standard Polycarbonate-Adults||$0 co-pay||Up to $32|
|Standard Polycarbonate-Kids under 19||$0 co-pay||Up to $32|
|Standard Anti-Reflective Coating||$45||N/A|
|Polarized||20% off retail price||N/A|
|Other Add-Ons and Services||20% off retail price||N/A|
|Contact Lenses (Materials Only)|
|Conventional||$0 co-pay, $150 allowance, 15% off balance over $150||Up to $150|
|Disposable||$0 co-pay, $150 allowance; plus balance over $150||Up to $150|
|Medically Necessary||$0 co-pay, paid in full||Up to $500|
|Laser Vision Correction|
|Lasik or PRK from U.S. Laser Network||15% off retail price or 5% off promotional price||N/A|
|Lenses or Contact Lenses||Once every calendar year|
|Frame||Once every calendar year|
|Important: You have the choice of glasses or contact lenses, but not both.|
Use Your EyeMed Benefits With ContactsDirect
Is your contact lens supply running low? You're in luck! EyeMed members who purchase contact lenses online can now apply their contact lens benefits at ContactsDirect, completing the transaction online, from start to finish.
ContactsDirect is the only online source that automatically accepts in-network EyeMed contact lens benefits. All you need is your valid contact lens prescription within the last 12 months and your vision insurance information. Once the prescription is verified, 98.6% of orders are in stock and ship the same day. Shipping is free!
Visit www.contactsdirect.com today to take advantage of this new in-network benefit.