If you are paid by MIT, are appointed to work at MIT for at least three months, and work at least 50% of the normal full-time work schedule, you automatically receive several forms of coverage.
- basic life insurance
- disability insurance
- workers' compensation insurance
- accident insurance
- business travel accident insurance
Evaluate Your Additional Insurance Needs
You can supplement your basic coverage with MIT plans that provide additional protection for you, your spouse or domestic partner, children, and in some cases your parents, grandparents, and in-laws.
Designate Your Beneficiary
Have you named your beneficiary? Is your beneficiary designation up to date? It is important to officially designate - and update, as needed - the person you want to receive the benefits from your life insurance plan in the event of your death. And be sure your beneficiary knows about your MIT Life Insurance coverage.
Return your completed and signed Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation Form (below) to the MIT Benefits office no more than 30 days from the date you made the designation.
When you lose your eligibility for MIT group life insurance - as a result of a job change, for example - your insurance coverage is protected for 31 days after you become ineligible. You may choose to maintain your coverage beyond that date either by converting your group coverage to individual coverage (conversion) or, for supplemental life insurance, by continuing your existing coverage (portability) within that 31-day continued protection period.
- Under this option, you can purchase a new individual life insurance policy from MetLife® if your application is received within 31 days after your eligibility ends. Conversion is available for your basic life insurance, supplemental life insurance and dependent life insurance.
- If your conversion application (below) is received within this 31-day period, you will not have to provide evidence of insurability.
- Contact MetLife® at (877) 275-6387 for details.
- Under this option, you can continue your existing group term supplemental life insurance policy from MetLife® if your application is received within 31 days after your eligibility ends.
- If your portability application (below) is received within this 31-day period, you will not have to provide evidence of insurability.
- You cannot use the portability option if your existing policy includes premium waiver death benefits.
- Contact MetLife® at (888) 252-3607 for details.