Tiers of coverage
When you select one of the health plans offered through MIT, you must also choose who will be covered by your plan.
- Choose Individual if you only need to cover yourself.
- Choose Employee + Spouse to cover yourself and your spouse or domestic partner.
- Choose Employee + Child(ren) to cover yourself and your child(ren) if you are a single parent or your spouse/domestic partner is covered under another plan.
- Choose Family to cover yourself, your spouse/domestic partner, and your child(ren).
- you have been appointed—and are currently employed—to work at MIT for at least three months
- you work at least 50% of the normal full-time work schedule
- you are paid by MIT
- you meet the criteria above and have a visiting appointment of at least 3 months
- you have a postdoctoral fellowship appointment of at least nine months and you want to continue your existing MIT health plan coverage
Who is NOT eligible
- teaching or research assistant
- honorary lecturer
- summer appointment
- international visiting student
- member of the armed services assigned to MIT
- family member who is not employed by MIT
- work-study student
- paid by MITemps
Members of collective bargaining units
All the plan provisions are subject to the terms of your collective bargaining agreement.